10 Simple Ways to Improve Your Mood
We all hate those days where the gray cloud of blah follows us around and we can't seem to get out of the funk! However, there are a few simple, easy and free things you can do to help improve your day or mood almost instantly. And worst case scenario..there is always dark chocolate and wine if nothing else works :)
- Compliment someone: Realize that everyone has a bad day and try to get outside of yourself for a minute. You can maybe improve someone else’s day with a simple compliment. Their smile and gratitude will create a response in your brain that releases endorphins that make you happier too!
- Go outside or stand by an open window: Anything that connects you with the natural light and gives you a breath of fresh air can instantly help your mood. Take a couple of minutes to breathe deeply and be still. Realize that the bad day or bad thing is temporary and focus on the positive things in your life.
- Call a friend or loved one: Sometimes it is just helpful to talk to someone about what is troubling you and get it off your chest. Just to hear the love and encouragement from someone close to you can instantly give you a better sense of calm.
- Write 5 things you are thankful for: Anger and happiness cannot simultaneously function at the same time, so forcing yourself to think of things that make you happy and acknowledge them helps your brain release some of that pent-up anger. And usually, you realize that there are still wonderful things going on around you.
- Go for a quick walk: We’ve all heard it but "Exercise sparks the release of feel-good endorphins, and it also satisfies something more profound: the human need to perform and excel. Exercise helps you feel like the captain of your own ship," explains Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, the author of The How of Happiness.
- Get to jammin': Music just like smell has certain instant associations for us so putting on a playlist or song you love and just taking the time to listen for a minute can help you start to relax.
- Find the root issue: Do you feel like you’ve been living in this bad mood? Does this always hit around 3pm? Or on Tuesdays? Take a minute and see if there is a pattern to the issue and is it something you can prevent in the future to help get you out of the funk. Realizing a problem and fixing it can bring a sense of accomplishment and instantly make you feel better.
- Get to sniffing: The scent of orange or lavender can instantly boost your mood! Or have a favorite candle, light that instead!
- Dress up buttercup: We’ve all woken up on the wrong side of the bed but nothing is worse than that on top of feeling frumpy. So put on an outfit you know looks good and maybe rock some fun shoes and get to stepping girl!
- De-Clutter: When we are feeling overwhelmed it is hard to get our heads straight when our environment is also messy. Take a few minutes to straighten things up, makes some stacks or lists to help you get organized and then start again.
Hope some of these tips are helpful! What things do you like to do to improve your day or mood?