Best Morning Smoothies!
We're all busy and have a lot to do in a day but still want to make our health a priority. We are so blessed uniquely with these beautiful bodies, so it is important to nourish and take care of it as best we can even if we feel like we have limited time.
That is why I love smoothies! I ebb and flow on when I make them depending on my mornings and the weather outside haha I mean who really wants a cold smoothie in the winter?! But as summer quickly approaches smoothies are an easy and healthy go-to to make sure you are getting some amazing, nutrient dense ingredients into your diet and enjoying it!
Before I dive into those recipes I do want to share a few pointers with you!
- Limit or avoid fruit juices! I know that these make them taste amazing but they can ramp up the sugar and artificial ingredients really quickly and defeat the purpose of all those other natural goodies! Opt in for real fruit instead!
- Try to add more veggies than fruit! Fruit is obviously amazing but since it again is still higher in sugar it is important to try and ingest it earlier in the day and in limited quantities...like don't make a smoothie with a banana, 2 dates, handful of blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries and 2 spinach leaves...haha that sugar crash will be coming for ya, natural or not!
- Have a variety of nutrients! I love making sure I get all my nutrients into my smoothies! So fat (avocado, coconut oil, almond butter), protein (plant based powder), fiber (chia seeds, greens), Greens (spinach, kale, cucumber), carbs (fruit).
- If you don't like it...don't force it! Smoothies aren't for everything but often if we get one or two not so great flavors it can turn us off completely! Keep trying! Change the protein powder or the fruit you use! Add cacao or almond butter to change things up! There are so many options that most people are able to find at least one that they love!
- Go half and half! If you are trying to be calorically conscious then consider doing half water and half milk, coconut water and so on! This is an easy way to still get the creaminess or flavor without the added calories. This is something I wouldn't dwell too much on but it is an easy way to cut down if you desire!
- Prep ahead of time! If you are tight on time, making smoothies in the morning can seem like the last thing you have time for! So instead of doing everything the morning of prep the night or a few days before! It is so simple to chop your fruit and spread it out, even adding in your greens or chia seeds into the bag is optional! Then in the morning you just add liquid, fat, and protein! Get creative on how you can cut down on time in the mornings and make this as easy as possible on yourself!
Okay so finally moving on the important stuff! The smoothie recipes! I wish I could take all the credit but honestly I'd rather let someone else experiment and tell me its amazing haha I will add my own things like beauty dust, maca powder or collagen peptides to these sometimes but the base inspiration starts with these below :) notice how different each of them are! What works for one, might not work for the other and that's ok! It is all about nourishing your body, feeling good and enjoying what you are eating! Try and few and see what makes you feel your best!
Melissa Wood Health Spirulina Smoothie:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 pitted date (to cut the taste of the spirulina)
- 1/2 peeled cucumber (peel tastes bitter blended in a smoothie)
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup romaine (optional)
- Tbsp spirulina powder
Blend for 30 seconds and enjoy!
Dr. Mona Vard Morning Smoothie:
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 apple
- 3 slices fresh tumeric
- juice of 1/2 lemon
The Skinny Confidential Michelin Star Smoothie
- Dark chocolate protein powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons of magic seeds AKA flax, chia, hemp
- 1 tablespoon ( or 2 ) of raw almond butter
- handful(s) of organic greens
- LOTS of ice & 1 cup-ish of water
- Optional: probiotics &/or pearl
Blend together and enjoy in a mason jar with a silicon straw!
Cherry Cacao Be Well Smoothie
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tbsp. MCT oil
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Handful of spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- Cacao nibs
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend to desired consistency. If you use fresh cherries, add a few ice cubes to cool. Top with Cacao nibs to taste.
Hope these inspire you to start your mornings with smoothies! Which one is your favorite??