How To Be Confident
So a few weeks ago I wrote a post about happiness. I found it fascinating how differently we are each built and how differenlty each of us will pursue our own happiness. The main take away was that happiness is a choice, and though its different for each of us it is possible for all of us! To read the post go here!
Anyways, I am excited to share some tips and tricks on confidence because I think it is something all of us are striving for and desire in our lives, jobs, relationships and bodies!
Confidence: Feeling emotionally sure, secure and strong; it's the opposite of feeling fearful, anxious or scared. It is knowing in your heart that you are safe, capable, and talented; and can accomplish - or at least, try to accomplish - whatever it is you want to do.
Interesting Facts About Confidence:
"Because one believes in oneself, one doesn't try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn't need others approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her." -Lao-Tzu
- Being an extrovert or introvert doesn't make a difference! That has to do with how you are stimulated and recharge. Introverts might seem less confident but really it is not a lack of confidence that does not keep them from interacting but more that they get energy from solace.
- People will make a first impression within 3-7 seconds! So SMILE!
- Clothing can impact how you feel about yourself and how others perceive you. Neutral blues and grey tend to convey seriousness whereas brighter colors like red, orange and green can convey creativity.
- 66% of girls say their confidence is influenced by how attractive they feel, compared with only 46% of boys.
- A study in the UK found that one in three young people surveyed are 'not confident.'
How to Feel More Confident:
"We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." -Carlos Castaneda
- Identifying the barriers to confidence can be the first step to over coming them. Were you unconfident with public speaking and so you never did it, now creating a barrier that has kept you stuck and unable to get past this lack of confidence.
- Remember you are in charge of the voice in your head! By changing the voice (thoughts) in your head you are able to change what you actually believe about yourself.
- Build it up slowly. Practice at something, turn an interest into a passion, become an expert, share a skill...building your confidence in certain areas will allow it to slowly grow and grow until you are become more confident in yourself not just your abilities or interests.
- Tips to looking confident: Show interest, listen attentively, make eye contact, respond positively, open and friendly body language, relaxed stance and grounded feet.
- Fake it till you make it! This doesn't mean not being yourself but if a situation calls for you to up your game and be confident fake it until you feel it and relax a little. If you aren't giving off signs that you are uncomfortable then people will not know you are. After successfully navigating a situation faking it, you will feel more confident and relaxed going into the next occasion.
I hope you know that no matter where you are at in life, you are capable of achieving what you desire and becoming the person you want. It takes practice and hard work sometimes but a life full of confidence and love is one to be pursued. Don't compare your journey to those around you but be inspired and encouraged. Who knows, maybe your own story will change someone else's life for the better too!